Friday, June 19, 2015

I have a strong, deep and considered contempt for home schooling. I feel that even when it's at it's very best it is seriously dangerous to the students and society at large.

I have a strong, deep and considered contempt for home schooling. I feel that even when it's at it's very best it is seriously dangerous to the students and society at large. 
This article has opened my mind to the possibility that it might not be all bad. Shout out to Jeremy Hodges who posts almost without fail, interesting items that encourage me to think about things that I have often quit thinking about. In other words, follow him if thinking is "your thing"

Originally shared by Jeremy Hodges

I was perplexed and intrigued by this game that had taught him something in three weeks, where I had failed over the course of three years. My next move was to go out and buy myself an account and start playing on our server with him. I was instantly hooked. As we played, the joy flooded back into our relationship and he began to come alive again. His confidence in himself and his own intelligence was growing back as quickly as his love for the game had blossomed.

H/T: Jennifer Hodges.

#minecraft   #homeschooling  
http://minecrafthomeschool.com/our-story/

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, ted kelly.  Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added a circle - way back when. Most of those folks have been pushed into my STFU circle, that I only open up when I'm in a good mood, or just plain dropped. 
    I hooped you and still have about a dozen or so in a circle I called "Dustins Peeps" so maybe I should tip my hat to Dustin W. Stout while I'm at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin W. Stout is alright.  His level of energy is amazing.  :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, done right, homeschooling can be a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't agree Elizabeth Childs. There is quite a bit of evidence that says I'm wrong though so I'm willing to consider that possibility.
    BTW I just erased a long list of reasons why I disagree. I did some fact checking before hitting the "post" button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. That's why I said, good ones. lol. I am not totally keen on the idea, like, as for myself, it is not likely I would homeschool my own kids, but I know a lot of people that do homeschool, and their kids are amazing. It used to be believed they were antisocial, but they arent all. I know of some that are involved in local sports. I used to think, yeah, they are socialized, but bubble socialized, but, there are exceptions. As for myself, my schooling was haphazard at best, and I just think my learning disability, I may have been better off with a tutor..but who is to say that for sure? I am not keen on the public schools either and I do not want to pay for private tutorage, so I was thinking a charter school. Parts of me are so thankful I do not have children that lived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With this program, I am glad they found something to boost his learning, but I am not sure it should be his only learning method. I get concerned about when he reaches college. Maybe he would be just fine, but I don't know lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hardly a day goes by that I don't feel grateful that I chose to be childless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ted kelly yes, well for me, it wasn't exactly choice, but I have come to terms with it. We are however, signing up to a respite care facility. We will test it and see how we like it. :)

    ReplyDelete