Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thanks and a tip of the hat to Pam Adger. We gave, won't you.


Thanks and a tip of the hat to Pam Adger. We gave, won't you.

Originally shared by Carter Gibson

Donate and vote for SMYRC at LittleBigFund.org
Read their full story here: http://bit.ly/11a4HJe

“I wake up thinking about my job. Before I leave for work, I check my work email before checking my personal email.” Neola Young, the director of the Sexual and Gender Minority Youth Resource Center (SMYRC), a program at Portland’s Q Center wakes up that way every day. On her bike ride to work she thinks about a conversation she had with a young person the day before, how much glitter to get for SMYRC’s next drag night, and whether or not she’s doing enough. When she arrives her day is frantic. Understaffed but in high demand, SMYRC has its hands full. The LittleBigFund asked Neola how she feels at the end of each workday and she answered, “I feel…conflicted.”

It’s clear that Neola, who gets choked up when she talks about her work, knows that she’s in the right place to do the right thing. “I just want it to be enough.” Balancing her own life and her life as a servant to the at-risk LGBTQQ youth in her area, Neola knows that her rapidly expanding program needs as much support as it can get.

Show your #LGBT   #Pride  by voting for The Q Center's SMYRC after you donate at LittleBigFund.org http://bit.ly/11a4HJe

No comments:

Post a Comment