Monday, August 10, 2015

Not that I would ever need any of this advice...

Not that I would ever need any of this advice...

Originally shared by Brian M. Fishman

Top 5 Mistakes of the Criminal Defendant

As we all know, those who are charged with committing a crime, often do not make the best decisions. Their impulsivity often leads to their arrest as they do not think through their actions. This does not mean that they are always guilty of the offense charged. Sometimes they are truly in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes there is a strong motive for the complainant to fabricate a story.

However, after practicing criminal defense in Philadelphia for many years, I often run into the same mistakes (some of which occur after arrest) that make it much more difficult for me to defend my client. I call this type of evidence "self-inflicted wounds". Often, if a criminal defendant had heeded this advice, they could have avoided conviction as the evidence against them would be minimal. Many of these issues have to deal with the suppression of physical evidence.

In this article, I discuss the top five biggest mistakes that I believe criminal defendants make. Please let me know if you have come across any other mistakes or actions that you believe should be added to this list. I look forward to hearing from my fellow criminal defense attorneys James Novak R. Patrick Link Jason Dunkle Stephan Futeral Law Offices of Russell J Matson, PC Matt McClenahen Attorney Luke S. Rioux Frank Walker Law Gary Gerson K. Lawson Wellington 

#PhiladelphiaCriminalLawyer   #Miranda   #FifthAmendment   #SuppressionofEvidence  
https://www.justipedia.com/2/6599/criminal/criminal-defense/the-top-5-biggest-mistakes-of-the-criminal-defendant

2 comments:

  1. ted kelly, thanks so much for the re-share of my article. I really appreciate. Nobody needs this advice until they need this advice. Plus, it's important to educate people regarding their rights as many think they know them and then they have a confrontation with police and all they want to do is cooperate because they think that's how they're supposed to act. You can respectfully not cooperate with police and that's what I advise my clients to do. And, I agree that a fight to the death, is a good addition to the list!!

    ReplyDelete