Sunday, March 10, 2013

"I Didn't Raise My Boy to Be a Soldier" is an American anti-war song that was influential within the pacifist movement that existed in the United States before it entered World War I. Back in its day, prominent politicians attacked the song both for its pacifism and early feminism.

"I Didn't Raise My Boy to Be a Soldier"  is an American anti-war song that was influential within the pacifist movement that existed in the United States before it entered World War I. Back in its day, prominent politicians attacked the song both for its pacifism and early feminism. 
I Didn't Raise My Boy To Be A Soldier - Peerless Quartet
The 1914 "Peerless Quartet" version is quite listenable.
While many consider this one of the earliest anti-war protest songs in American history one only has to look back to Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller and Beethovens 9th to see that mankind has used music to express a yearning for peace for a long time. (Ode to Joy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCTelNd3KY

No comments:

Post a Comment