Sunday, March 24, 2013

A tl;dr summary of my circle management

A tl;dr summary of my circle management
I circle back. I got in the habit back in the beta (pronounced "better") days. Sure, I've uncircled hundreds of people for a variety of reasons but I came here for variety and that's exactly what I have.
I used to have "transition" circles that people would migrate down to. Overposters was for peeps who might not be offensive but were irritating just by so totally overdoing it. My Crapcircle was for rude, obnoxious, or bullying peeps; regardless of politics or faith. If you circled me I circled back and put you right into general circulation. You then might move down and perhaps back up but lots eventually just got tossed.
I don't follow that plan any more. When I see something, or a ton of something that irritates me I take a peek at your profile. Then it's either stay (most common) or go. It's a snap judgement, no looking back. I don't usually make any comment either. You have every right to be as irritating s you wish. It's not like my approval or lack thereof will get you to change.
I just dropped someone. It was not the first time I considered it but it was the first time I looked at the profile. I just don't get why somebody from Merry Olde England would feel the need to post 20+ anti-Obama and or anti-Democrat posts per day. There was not even one post that I could find about any other subject. No other politics, no bullying, not even any kitties....
BTW - he was in the overposter circle so perhaps it's just an OCD kinda thing.

5 comments:

  1. Seems like a sensible way to manage your circles to me. There's a lot more fluff on G+ now than there was in the beginning. But even with all the ridiculous people that pop up from time to time, this is still the best community on the net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't circle someone back unless I see an overwhelming reason why I should in their profile. They have to be involved in or interested in something that I do, or someone I know from somewhere else. If I see something in their profile that looks annoying or suspicious, they don't get circled, and might get blocked completely.  But mostly, I just leave them alone. I can't circle everybody back, and don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand Gwen Patton I was using that system (sort of) on facebook. I found that it didn't work well for me. It seemed to leave me with a small number of people who were supposed to be friends but actually were anything but. Even the IRL connections had more negativity than I was comfortable with. My follower map here was a surprise to me. My fiancee is still more invested on facebook and can't get into the idea that some stranger in Tibet or an astronaut or Chliiean artist would be interested in her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes get strangers in Tibet. Mostly because I study Zen, I think. Or maybe because I'm into Go. The ones I can't figure out are the middle easterners who flock to circle me. I don't get it. I can't possibly be saying anything to interest them. Nor am I saying anything to get their knickers in a twist, so they'd be wanting to whack me on the head with a shoe. So why do I seem to fascinate so many of them? Or are they all spambots?  I can't tell, they all speak Arabic, and I can't read their profiles.

    Here's a clue to anyone circling me: If I can't read your profile, I'm unlikely to circle you back. Google Translate is a wonderful thing, but it's imperfect, and I don't relish the idea of an international incident because Google translated something wrong.

    I don't have time to filter circlers. I barely have time for the time-sink of G+ as it is. I can lose whole DAYS in G+ if I let it suck me in.

    ReplyDelete