Friday, October 14, 2016

I took some tasty shadow shots this week but mostly by accident. I wanted one in particular but the sun just wouldn't cooperate. So with back ups in the can I decided to make my own darned shadows.


I took some tasty shadow shots this week but mostly by accident. I wanted one in particular but the sun just wouldn't cooperate. So with back ups in the can I decided to make my own darned shadows.
I started with the idea of a shadow that wasn't there. I grabbed a pad and sketched out a couple of different scenes. I've shot this chess set a few times before without much luck but this time I planned it out a little better.

I moved the lights and camera a few times and took a few dozen test shots from different heights and with different lenses and apertures and such. The light, tripod and chess set all came from Goodwill and each cost five bucks. The drop cloth was another three from the discount bin at Lowes.

The light bulb is a 150w daylight temp. also from Lowes. The IR Remote came via Ebay as did the spare battery for about eight bucks each. Of course my battery died after about six shots. Don't they always ?
Note the viewfinder light blocker thingie. This was the first time I ever used it. My last two shots were an experiment to see if it made a difference. I had switched back into auto mode and while either shot was usable I could see a difference. The extra light bouncing around made the picture come out darker and with a reddish hue.

Anywho- I haven't looked at many of this weeks pictures. I'll be doing that shortly. I can hardly wait to see what you guys did.

No comments:

Post a Comment