Friday, March 4, 2016

I had to replace my old "walking around" camera. The lens locked up on my Canon SX130 and sometimes the DSLR kit is just too much. So I got a Pentax X-5 today for about a hundred, including shipping, off of ebay.


I had to replace my old "walking around" camera. The lens locked up on my Canon SX130 and sometimes the DSLR kit is just too much. So I got a Pentax X-5 today for about a hundred, including shipping, off of ebay.
This was my very first shot. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. It takes a fair macro - and will focus down to 1 cm. away and zooms out to over 500mm (equivalent).
It's a little slow and needs lots of light, but otherwise - I'd recommend it for a decent "travel" or back-up.

9 comments:

  1. ted kelly...cool shot TK....nice detail....have fun... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty sharp. :) I'm going to North Carolina today. I'll take some pictures of things I love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly wait. Shoot something you hate too. Don't tell which one it is. See if we can tell from the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take a lot of low light pics using no flash (of bands in bars). What ebay find would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good question. I'll take a look around later but my first thoughts would point me towards a full frame DLSR. Ideally, one with a prime lens somewhere between 50 and 85 mm, and image stabilization. 
    Always look for a seller with a returns accepted policy too. That's the single most important thing I look for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri Johnson This looks interesting. Not full frame and return policy not likely but it looks like a great possibility. The auction has less than two hours left though so I'll link a review I found and I'd be cautious.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-SLR-EVOLT-E-510-CAMERA-2-LENS-14-42mm-40-150mm-REMOTE-EXT-TUBE-/391403739360?hash=item5b217b18e0:g:ud0AAOSwoudW4bR8
    here's the review site I like - I was on the last page so you should peek at the 1st and 2nd and 3rd at least
    http://www.photographyblog.com/pages/reviews/reviews_olympus_e510_6.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I went to ebay - selected dslr cameras and filtered to $200 max and just started scrolling when I found this one. FYI

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sold before I saw your post. Keep your eyes open for me.

    ReplyDelete