Thursday, February 23, 2012

Shared from my dumb phone so I can't ack. Properly... TOO IMPORTANT to pass up sharing... Hats off to Granny D please and thank you.


Shared from my dumb phone so I can't ack. Properly... TOO IMPORTANT to pass up sharing... Hats off to Granny D please and thank you.

Originally shared by Meri Walker

Contraception, Obama's Theology, Virginia's State-Sponsored Rape and Granny D

Along with millions of aging Boomer women, I've been watching the Tea Party yanking on the rudder, intent on steering the ship of State back to the bad old days. The days when men were men and women were women and we all knew what that meant - and were too scared to say anything. At least if you were a woman who didn't want to get hit. Or something worse.

But, it's nigh on to impossible for me to sit by silently while state legislators - including women legislators - say things like, "Abstinence and condoms are the best family planning options for poor people." It makes me feel crazy when I hear things like that. Especially after 50+ years of fighting for the civil rights of poor people and women of all colors and ages.

When I feel crazy, I look around for elders. People who have suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune for longer than I have. One whose clear vision and courage has filled me with hope and fueled my resolve since I first met her trekking across the country in her late 80s is Doris Haddock, AKA Granny D.

I just rediscovered this transcript of a speech she made at Orchard House, Home of the Alcotts, back in October, 2005. It's filled with clear vision - and deep insight - about what's really going on with our national politics right now.

Pull up a chair: it's a great read!

http://www.grannyd.com/speeches/orchardhouse.htm

(The photo is a still taken from the documentary, "Run Granny Run."

No comments:

Post a Comment