Tuesday, April 11, 2017

As I work my way through a divorce and try to get comfortable with my new life, I have to face the terrors of dating. I've never really done that before and it's really scary.

As I work my way through a divorce and try to get comfortable with my new life, I have to face the terrors of dating. I've never really done that before and it's really scary.
I wanted to date in high school but when I joined the chess club I pretty much snuffed out any chances I might have had. I tried to some when I was in the army but those WAC's were whack could beat me up. (just kidding - only one of them ever beat me up)
About the time I hit college I discovered BBS's. (an ancient precursor to social media for you youngsters) and never had to date. I'd meet someone, get to know them and then, well - you know...
I was away from computers for a long time. I met someone and we shacked up and then I fell in love with her. We had some great years and she really didn't feel comfortable with me going on the computer. So I shut down my AOL account and never regretted it for a minute.
Then she was sick for a long time. Then she died and I was devestated.
I had a few years that are kind of hazy. I drank a bit and hung out with a sketchy crowd but - meh... Then I had an old army buddy talk me into joining facebook.
It was good. It was bad. It was very good. It was very very bad. It did lead me eventually to the woman I married. I'm a little disappointed and, well, lets just say whiny right now, but I'll get over it. Hope was good to me and good for me and we just really didn't have a chance. We gave it our best and the baggage was just too heavy and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. (hopefully with a better outcome)
But now - Now I have to think about dating ! Yikes ! First impressions. Clean fingernails. Being on time for stuff. I just don't know if it's worth it.

Now that I've lost your attention completely. Check out this story. This is how people sometimes used to do selfies.
http://www.treehugger.com/culture/archeologists-study-the-worlds-oldest-tree-carvings.html

16 comments:

  1. :) dating as a concept doesn't appeal to me. It's like an interview - you're being assessed. I must admit i sometimes consider it. But I'm too selfish now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall Elizabeth. I figure it will take me a year or two just to explore my new surroundings. I'll certainly be careful and not rush into anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck ted kelly​! What's that old saying? Prepare for the best, expect the worst.. that sounds funny..I probably got it wrong. Anyway my thought for the day is with you as you embark on a new journey. Maybe just fill your time with friends and be happy. 😸

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny that you should mention that Jenn. Hope spent almost her whole life catering to others needs and wishes. Now she has reached a point where she needs to be selfish.
    Based on her childhood and some books I've read, I think I can understand why she needs to do this. I can't say it was something I liked but I accepted it and supported it. I could deal with it because part of loving someone is (to me anyway) putting their needs before mine.
    And therin lies a big problem for her.
    On the one hand she loved me and took care of me but the more she did that - the more she denied the need she had to look out for herself.
    Oh heck - now that I've written that "out loud" I'll have to go think it through some.
    Anyhow - thanks for reading and responding. Later tk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Connie. There is plenty here to do and oodles of interesting characters. Plenty of trees too. I should get myself a pocket knife, huh ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ted kelly I feel for you man. Sounds kinda like me right now.....Proceed with CAUTION! That heartbreak stuff hurts like hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walter Gantt It sure does but in a way I thinks maybe it's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ted kelly ...take care dear Ted...it may just happen when you least expect it..when you are not looking for it...the right girl will love you for you ...😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will do Elizabeth. I just have to remember that I have one thing going for me. As a man of a "certain age" who can still drive at night - in Florida ~ I'm a hot commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I've been thinking for 20 years that it might happen when I'm not looking and when I least expect it........ and I'm definitely not looking or expecting it.. hehe. But I'm definitely not going to go out there looking for it. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn Camforth -So, uh then~ummm...Do you have any plans for Firday night ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. Well I really could do with a chauffeur. That's what I need most. That and someone to clean for me and do the garden and all those other jobs I just can't be bothered doing... And cooking for me too.

    Apart from that I don't really need anything emotionally. Yeah there's probably something wrong with me. Or maybe not. Maybe I've reached a state of zen like happiness in my surroundings...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I don't have a green thumb. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete