Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Hi

Hi
Elizabeth Childs asked me for my "take" on this matter.
I'll take a shot at it but also would like to share it around to see if some other (smarter) folks I know could offer some input it I may ?
The process of making a jpg file does, in my understanding, compress the file is such a way that some of the information gets lost. I believe there are ways to share images that are less destructive. I'd suggest you try perhaps TIFF or maybe GIF ?
Anyways - let me know if it's okay to reshare this publically and maybe "tag in" a friend or two. Also - you might consider, when asking a question like this, to allow comments. It would be simpler for folks to answer directly on the post.

Originally shared by Lon W.

Am noticing that the conversion from RAW to jpg degrades the quality of the image. Is this "me" or is it the actual case? Cannot post the RAW image alongside the jpg to show this loss.
If this is the case about converting from RAW to jpg... am thinking to exaggerate the processing of RAW images, so that when the jpg conversion is complete... the jpg will actually appear the correct way. Does this make sense?

8 comments:

  1. I agree, but the original poster made it so at least me, couldn't comment on the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian Madsen Can you offer any suggestions on this subject ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth Childs,

    Yes the production of JPEG images consists of quantizing and compressing the information in a lossy way, the more compression the higher the loss, mostly in the higher and lower tones where it isn't immediately perceptive unless you compress a lot. Usually the default compression or quality is set to 75% which is too low for high-grade photos and I usually use settings like 95-97% which is good enough in most cases and leaves very few artifacts and perceptive errors. However if I want lossless quality use TIFF or PNG files and avoid GIF files (these only contains 256 colors so you lose a lot of color information). Another option is to use the new JPEG9 lossless standard, but be aware that not many systems recognize that yet and it isn't backwards compatible with previous JPEG standards (particularly JPEG7 and JPEG8 which is mainstream JPEG formats now).
    Hope this answers your question and if not feel free to ask for more information or clarification ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christian Madsen that is fabulous information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth Childs thank you and you're welcome. ☺

    ReplyDelete