Sunday, January 6, 2013

#gunsacrossgoogle I couldn't figure out how to share this in the community.

#gunsacrossgoogle  I couldn't figure out how to share this in the community.

Originally shared by Gary S. Hart

"Liberal" means open-mindedness to me. While I am neither politically or ideologically conservative, liberal or moderate, I think of myself as a liberal thinker with strong, clearly defined values, some of which are conservative and others liberal. To my liberal friends, I’m too conservative. Too my conservative friends, I’m too liberal. And to the moderates, I’m a misfit. What it really means is, I am open-minded and respectful of other people and their opinions even when I vehemently disagree. 

This morning I was deeply moved by this article in one of our local liberal weekly newspapers. In particular, the writer's unexpected prose flipped a few of my emotional and intellectual switches. 

"If you want to eat local, eat clean, reduce your food’s carbon footprint, and have a real relationship with what you consume, you can’t do much better than shooting a deer and packing your freezer with venison.

So why the wide cultural gulf separating people who grew up taking a sick day on the first day of general firearms season and those who spend a solid chunk of their paycheck each week on locally sourced groceries from Whole Foods? Why is hunting for rednecks and grass-fed beef for snobs?"

When our older daughter became a vegan on principles of animal rights in her early teens, we had numerous discussions of the pros and cons. We did not try to dissuade her or force-feed her beef. She made some wonderful points about animal treatment and raising methods. We all learned a lot. Then we caught her buried in the fridge with cheeks puffed up with roast beef. Now she eats a healthy intelligent, well-balanced diet and shops thoughtfully.

I grew up loving veal. When our son was 5 or 6, he enjoyed sitting in the kitchen while I pounded veal scallopini into delicate submission before cooking in Marsala or lemon and garlic. He'd say, “I want the meat you hit with a hammer." 

During the late 80s, abusive animal rearing began escaping the pen so to speak. When I learned how baby calves were kept in sunless stalls, unable to move, and left there for days after they died, veal was slashed from our list, but, I never gave up eating meat. 

I believe hunting, fishing, and growing what I eat is the ultimate way to grocery shop. Unfortunately, I do not live that way, but applaud it and support it. These two women experienced another side of guns. A sensible side that has social and community value with personal reward. What I found most intriguing and inspiring is their open-mindedness, the sign of true liberal thinking.

#Foodie   #Hunting   #guns   #guncontrol    
 
http://www.c-ville.com/the-deer-hunters-how-two-liberal-anti-gun-girls-learned-to-kill-for-their-dinner/#.UOmeK288B8E

No comments:

Post a Comment